The old public or beer house was a large building but surprisingly had only a tap room,a snug and a small lounge on the ground floor. Upstairs was a large clubroom where functions could take place and two bedrooms for visitors. In 1918 it was temporaly closed for the sale of drinks in order to provide accomodation for persons engaged in the munition works at Gadbrook. The new Farmers Arms was built in 1959 in the orchard of the old building and the newly re- modelled farmers opened its doors on Tuesday September 14th 1961.
Here is a list of some of the landlords & Landlady's in its long history.
JOHN POSTLES 1850 - 77
WILLIAM SUMNER 1878 - 80
GEORGE HAYES 1880 - 83
THOMAS & SARAH BURGESS 1883-88
THOMAS BLAND 1888
SAMUEL & MARY PEOVER 1890 - 98
THOMAS & EMILY KIRKHAM 1898 - 1910
EMILY BATES 1910 -1914
JOHN BRAIN SNR 1921-40
JOHN BRAIN JNR 1940 - 44
TOMMY ATKINSON 1944 - 64
JOHN COX 1964 - 68
HARRY & EILLEEN RANDLES 1968 - 83
RAY & ROSE OWEN 1983 - 92
TOMMY TWADDLE 1992 - 98
MAX BACON 1998 - 2001
DAVE MORRIS & CHRIS WAINE 2001 -2004
L to r
Alan Thompson,Barry Barnes,Brian Budden,Brian Pendlbury,Dave Roberts and Ron Hitchen
Tim Hulme Snr,Eddie Hulse, Don Lambert and Cedric Johnson
Back L to R ; A.Thompson, J.Taylor, E.Hulse, D.Roberts,T.Hulme ,C.Linegar & R.Hitchen
front L to R ; B.Pendlebury , D.Lambert, Sammy & W.Hopley
L to R
Dennis Leather,Dave Freeborough,Pete Illidge,Charlie Linegar,Vernon slater and Mike Bell.
Jon Gurney,Alan Thompson,Dave Hulme(C),Ron Hitchen and Dave Stanley.
L to R : Margaret Millward , Evelyn Booth , George Duncalf (Coach) ,Phyllis Cope & Margaret Latham
Front : Carol Gorst , Nina Ridgeway , Jennifer Davies , Jean Gorst & Molly Marlor
Missing from Picture : Jean Park & Betty Tatler
Landlord & landladyDave Morris & Chris Waine with workparty seated Ronnie Hitchen,Ray Martin ,Tom Lowe,Brian Budden and Ken Porter.